header

Monday 21 April 2014

Battle Of The Liquid Liners

I love a well defined lash line as much as the next girl, but sometimes that perfect liner can be a little elusive. After years of searching, I'm still not sure I've found the ideal product, but I'm definitely a lot closer, and a lot more informed. With that in mind, I thought I'd share with you a few of my faves, along with a couple of no-no's that you might want to avoid. 


My token brown liquid liner, I think this is my favourite of the lot. The perfect mix of sturdy and skinny, I love lining my lashes with it. I fear it's only a matter of time before I cave and buy it in black, as I think it's the easiest liner I've ever worked with. It's perfect for pushing into the roots of the lashes, and firm enough that I can sweep it across my lash line for precise, neat framework every time. As well as this, it's a given that the darker colours are true, but I've also heard amazing things about the more vibrant shades in the range, which offer bright colours with a great pigment. None of that wishy washy rubbish!


This is slightly less flexible than Stila, but still thin enough for a really sharp, defined line. And holy, moly, what a pigmented formula! I think it's probably the perfect size and strength to execute the  most beautiful feline flick, and I'd be able to say that with a little more confidence if I were any good at them! But hey, if Alexa Chung, queen of the wing, loves it enough to put her name on it, it must be a winner.


This is a liner I've fallen a bit out of love with. When I first bought it, I thought I'd discovered a new favourite, but I've found that it gets dry really quickly, and it's difficult to pick up enough product to draw a neat, black line that isn't riddled with patches and imperfections. Maybe I just got a dud, who knows, but it's been delegated to the bottom of my make-up draw nonetheless, and won't be resurfacing anytime soon.


A hell of a lot thicker than my other liners, it has the aesthetic of a marker pen. I find it difficult to get a precise line with this, probably the only reason I don't use it on a daily basis, but it's great for really working into the lashes and for doing the more bold looks. Be A Bombshell is also a brand that gear their products towards more sensitive skin, so if that's something you struggle with, you should definitely check them out. 


This one probably gets the least use of all my liquid liners, and I knew I'd made an error as soon as I'd bought it. It has a really thin brush applicator, designed for close precision work, which make me feel completely inept. Although you can get a much thinner line, it offers no control, and I end up smudging it everywhere. With a bit of practice, maybe I'll get there one day, but for now, I think I'll stick to my pen nib packaging. To be honest, it is just my preference that makes this a bit of a rubbish product for me. If you favour a thin liner brush over the angled equivalents, then I'd probably recommend that you give this one a go. It has really great lasting power, and I like the glossy finish it dries to. Unfortunately, I'm just not nimble enough to master the technique needed to use such a high precision brush.

So there you have it, and after careful deliberation, I think it's pretty safe to say that my winner is Stila! I love this product, and it would definitely be the first I recommended to somebody in the market for a new liquid liner. Eyeko and Be A Bombshell are not to be scoffed at, however - both equally lovely liners that give a great result. Sadly, Bourjois is not for me, but try your luck, it may be just the thing you're looking for. As for Loreal, shame on you! Dry, patchy lining is no good at all!

What's your favourite liquid liner? Do you like any of the liners I've listed? Let me know!

S.

 photo homeeee_zps214aed0e.jpg

2 comments:

  1. I've recently started using the Soap and Glory Supercat liner on Sparklyvodka's recommendation and I'm suprised at how easy I now find applying eyeliner! Although I haven't yet mastered the cat eye/flick!

    Nell at And Nell Writes

    ReplyDelete
  2. I rarely go out the house without eyeliner and I've spent a lot of time trying to find the right one, I think I've figured that a felt tip like liner is good for me, they are so easy to use and most of them seem to stay. There's quite a few that I like, one is Rimmel and the other is L'Oreal, can't remember either of the names but they're both quite thin.

    http://emhasrednails.blogspot.co.uk/
    x

    ReplyDelete