header

Tuesday 18 February 2014

Review: Loreal True Match Foundation

A dedicated fan of the bareMinerals Original Foundation, it's been a while since I picked up a new skin base. As I'd heard so many great reviews of the L'Oreal True Match Foundation, and I was a huge fan of the mineral powder equivalent in my heyday, (it was actually my first ever foundation - such fond memories) I thought I'd give it a try. 

The biggest and most frustrating problem for me when looking for a new foundation, is getting a shade light enough for my skin. Lucky for me, I do know from experience that L'Oreal are actually quite good at catering for paler skin tones, and this foundation is no exception. In fact, they've gone a bit 'MAC' in the way that they offer a warm, neutral and cool version of each shade, which I think is fantastic. I usually struggle with the fact that my skin is more on the neutral to warm side, and the majority of lighter foundations are quite pink. Surprisingly, however, the shade that matched me best was Rose Ivory, which is certainly more pink than I'm used to. But hey, if it works, it works!

Through trial and error, I've found that the best way to apply is with fingers. Offering a satin finish bordering on the matte side, I would say that it has a medium coverage and, although I can't speak for oilier skin types, it looks immaculate all day. It does sit in my pores a little upon application, which is a bit irritating, but I think that's more an issue with my primer, and a good thorough blending session does the trick.

One grievance I do have is the pump. I usually like pumps; they're hugely preferential to other drugstore foundations where you just pour the product from the bottle to your hand and hope for the best. However, this particular pump dispenses way too much foundation for me, less than half a pump being sufficient. As a result, I waste quite a lot of product, and I'm developing a bit of a complex - my face can't be that tiny, can it?! Who are these large faced people using a whole pump?
The whopping half-pump
As a sidenote, bloggers like Amelia Liana claim that it's a great dupe for the Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk foundation. I can't testify to that as, sadly, the Armani foundation shades were a little 'off' on me (wahh!) so I was never able to try it.  What I can tell you is that the L'Oreal foundation is a beautiful foundation in it's own right. I haven't abandoned my bareMinerals baby, but this is definitely my new go to alternative for those higher coverage days. And an SPF of 17? Well, that's just the icing on the cake really. 

I'm wearing the foundation in my previous Valentine's post, if you're interested in seeing what it looks like on me, although with all the gloomy weather, I've been struggling to get good enough lighting to capture it in all it's satin glory. But there you are, the new foundation that's succeeded where others have failed, and made itself a permanent fixture in my makeup bag. And for £9.99 at Boots, you can't go far wrong.

Are you a fan of L'Oreal foundations? How do you like the True Match foundation? What's your favourite base? Let me know! 

S.

 photo homeeee_zps214aed0e.jpg

0 comments:

Post a Comment