header

Sunday 9 February 2014

Book of the Week: Bobbi Brown Makeup Manual

"Makeup artistry is incredibly gratifying. So be open, have fun, and never stop learning."

First of all, apologies for the distinct lack of beauty related posts this past week or two. I've been rather poorly, and as a consequence, I've been feeling insanely unattractive, and couldn't bring myself to contemplate writing about beauty. I'm feeling a lot better now though, and I promise I'll be back on form next week, but for now, I propose a compromise: here is a review of one of my favourite beauty related books. 

A staple in any makeup fanatics collection is the Bobbi Brown Makeup Manual. Packed full of tips and tricks for the perfect makeup, I love flicking through it's pages for inspiration. I adore the step by step instructions and the beautiful photography, but I have to say that my favourite thing about it, and the aspect that I have found most useful, are the trouble shooting guides. Gone are the days when I wondered why my under eye concealer was going cakey, and I couldn't work out why my lippy just would not stay put. All of the answers are right here in this trusty manual, and for that, Bobbi, I am eternally grateful.

I also really appreciate how thorough her explanation of beauty is. Beauty isn't just skin deep after all. I'm abysmal when it comes to sticking to a healthy diet, although I must say, I have improved as I've grown older. Enter Bobbi Brown's lifestyle tips, in which she breaks down just what you should be eating and the specific benefits it will have for your appearance, as well as tips on how to get to know your skin and give it the proper tailored care it needs. I don't know about you, but sticking to healthy eating is a lot easier when I know exactly what each morsel is going to do for my complexion. I've definitely started to drink a lot more water now that I understand a little better exactly how the skin works. Little tip - drink a glass of water for every caffeinated beverage you have, to flush out toxins and start your journey towards clearer skin. I was a bit sceptical but it actually makes a world of difference. You're welcome.

Finally, I find the colour charts a really useful addition. The manual explains not only which shadows work best for which eye colours, but also which correctors work for pale/dark skins, and which lip colours are going to work best with light to darker lips. I mean, obviously it's not gospel, and experimenting with different tones, shades and colours is so much fun, but I do love consulting the pages of my Bobbi Brown Makeup Manual whenever I'm contemplating a new purchase. Forewarned is forearmed after all.

The perfect coffee table tome, I'd highly recommend Bobbi Brown Makeup Manual to anyone interested in make up. Whether a beginner or a makeup artist yourself, this beautiful page turner will  give you great insight into the ins and outs of makeup application. There's a reason why it's a bestseller, you know!

Have you got any of the Bobbi Brown books? What's your favourite makeup manual? Let me know!

S.

 photo homeeee_zps214aed0e.jpg

0 comments:

Post a Comment