header

Tuesday 17 September 2013

September Glossybox

Sadly, I was unable to get last months Glossybox. The courier that delivers it annoyingly doesn't knock and just leaves the box on the doorstep and, as I was on holiday, and I didn't want it to just sit there, braving the elements and alerting nearby burglars to our absence, I reluctantly had to cancel my subscription. I renewed as soon as I returned, however, and I must say, I'm so glad it wasn't this month's I skipped, as I think that this British beaut is my favourite so far. I usually get something that's not to my taste, but there is nothing that I wouldn't have considered in the September box! Jumping on the theme provided by the presence of London Fashion Week, the box is filled with some fantastic, home-grown products.
The products I received this month were:
Be A Bombshell Onyx Eye Liner
Toni & Guy Classic Shine & Gloss Serum
Elizabeth Arden Untold
Eyelure Pre-Glued Lashes
Dr Lipp Original Nipple Balm for Lips
First things first, I received an eye liner from Be A Bombshell Cosmetics. I'm dead chuffed that I got a black eye liner as I've been on the lookout for a new one - I'm not particularly happy with the Bourjois one I'm using currently. This wasn't a brand I had heard of before, so I wouldn't have considered buying it if it hadn't been sent to me, but I must admit, they've made a rather good first impression. The liner looks a bit thick and daunting at first, as if you're about to go at your face with a permanent marker, but it's actually fairly easy to control the thickness of application. This is the main plus for me, as I usually really struggle with liquid eye liner, but with this product I was able to create the perfect feline flick in an instant. It's very pigmented, dries almost immediately upon application, and lasts all day. And what more do you want from an eye liner, really? Upon visiting the website (which is actually www.beabombshellcosmetics.com, the one printed in the box isn't a registered domain - oops!) it looks like the brand is actually American, which is a bit confusing, but never mind, eh? But after a bit of exploring, I discovered that another plus from the brand is that the founder, Tonya Thompson, says that it was born out of  a desire to provide cosmetics suitable for the most sensitive of skins. Struggling with highly sensitive skin herself, she was sick to death of being so limited in the products she could use, and so she pioneered the brand to combat the problem. Now I don't suffer with sensitive skin, so I can't really preach about it, but all of the Be A Bombshell products are tried and tested by her, so if you do struggle to find products that work with your sensitive skin, maybe it's worth giving this brand a go.
The second product I found in the box was the Toni & Guy Classic Shine & Gloss Serum. The limited edition packaging, designed by Lulu Kennedy, is really lovely but, to be perfectly honest, I'm more interested in the product inside. The serum is similar to the Frizz Ease range, in the way that it is designed to tame frizz whilst adding a healthy shine to your hair, and actually, it really does! You put it onto dry hair, which felt a bit unnatural to me, as I'm used to putting serum on before I blow dry, but I went with it, and I was left with soft, silky smooth locks and a reinforced love for Toni & Guy products. It's perfect for getting rid of those annoying flyaways that make me look like a baby owl, and I was so impressed by the fact that it left absolutely no residue on my hands when I had finished working it through my tresses. Added bonus - it smells like the Toni & Guy Sea Salt Spray! Wohoo! Love that stuff!
Next up was a 5 ml sample of Elizabeth Arden's new fragrance, Untold (Also American, no? I think I've misunderstood the theme). First of all, the bottle made me want to cry a little bit from the cuteness of it all. It's just so dinky and adorable. I love elegant perfume bottles, and if you make them mini, well then I just can't help myself! As for the smell, it's a very soft, sweet floral scent, which is just beautiful. It's not what I'd usually opt for, fruity fragrances usually being my ideal, but that's the reason I like Glossybox - for discovering little gems like this one that I might have overlooked at the perfume counter. I think this delicate scent will be perfect to pop in my handbag for evenings out, and I'm sure it will get a lot of use, despite it being rather different from my signature scent.
The fourth item I was given was a set of Eyelure Pre-Glued Lashes. I love wearing false lashes. I think they add a wonderful element of glamour to a look, although I only tend wear them on special occasions, as I feel like they're much too much effort to be fussing around with on a regular basis. I haven't had a chance to wear these yet, but I'll be really interested to see how well the glue compares to the normal Eyelure lashes. I would hope that they are easier to use, and if that does turn out to be the case, who knows, I might start wearing falsies much more frequently. As a matter of fact, it's my birthday next week, the perfect occasion to give these fluttery babies a test run. 
Last, and sadly, least in this months box was the Dr Lipp Original Nipple Balm for Lips. I've heard a lot about this product, and although I wasn't about to rush out and buy it, I was excited to see what all the fuss was about. Not that I had much of an opportunity to! The already minuscule sample had barely any product in it. It was like the grapple you have with your toothpaste when you're down to the very last dregs. Not what I want from something I haven't even used yet! The product itself is rather dense, and, although not sticky, it's quite difficult to apply and move around. And once it's on, I didn't find it to be particularly moisturising, soothing or hydrating. I'm not even sure what it's supposed to do to be honest, but it didn't really do much of anything. I mean, it's OK, but it isn't great, and definitely not a product I'll be purchasing any time soon.

Et voilĂ . I hope you enjoyed my round up of glossy treats for this month. I think it's probably the best I've received so far, but what do you think? Did you get the same products as I did? What was your favourite? Let me know!

S.

 photo homeeee_zps214aed0e.jpg

4 comments:

  1. ooh I so want to get Glossybox but like all things awesome, it's not available in the States :[

    I do, however like Eyelure lashes - they're my favorite brand. And I've also tried the Be a Bombshell eyeliner and it's very good! I've never tried any Dr. Lipp products but perhaps I'll go Ebay shopping for that lip balm - I always hear good things about that brand :]

    xo Deborah
    Coffee, Prose and Pretty Clothes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it?! I'm sure there's a US version, no?

      I loved the Be A Bombshell liner! The Dr. Lipp stuff, not so much unfortunately =( Maybe I just got a dud product, I'll have to see what else they do! xx

      Delete
  2. Glossybox, I believe, started in the states. You can most definitely get it here! It's just a different version than the UK Glossybox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Birchbox/Joliebox was an American thing originally, but I'm pretty sure Glossybox started off in the UK. I might be wrong, but yeah, I thought it as available in the states now! xx

      Delete