header

Friday 20 September 2013

Not Worth The Hype: Products That I Found Disappointing

I'm usually pretty confident that I'm going to like a product before I buy it. I read blogs, consider the recommendations of friends, and pay attention to what is being talked about, so that I don't waste my hard earned cash on something I'm going to hate. But sometimes I make mistakes (I'm only human after all), and every now and then, a dud product slips into my collection and I find myself thinking, 'ohh, this is such a disappointment.' We all do it, so I thought I'd share my disappointing purchases with you, in the hope that I can help you to make a more informed decision before you buy one of those oh so raved about products, that actually might end up falling short. Or, so that you can agree with me and make me feel better about my pointless spends. On we go.
Biore Deep Cleansing Pore Strips Combo Pack - £10.99
The first on my hit list are the Biore Deep Cleansing Pore Strips. These do nothing. And not only that, they hurt too! So you peel it off, revelling in the promise of lessened blackheads and a clearer T-zone, and you're left with watery eyes, looking a bit like Rudolph, and you still have clogged pores! It's not on really, is it? And actually, I thought I was the only one that thought this, until I saw it mentioned on Imogen's blog, The Bluebird & The Robin. Subsequently, I mentioned it to a fellow beauty obsessive, and her reaction was, 'ugh, yeah they're s**t'. So what I want to know is why is everyone still raving about them , if no one thinks they work?! What type of mind game is this?! I have since been told that even though these awful things are nothing more than torture weapons, the Boots own brand are much more effective, and a fraction of the price. You're welcome. 
Maybelline Fit Me Foundation - £7.99
Next to take a verbal beating is Maybelline's Fit Me Foundation. I actually didn't go out and buy this. A friend who has a much darker skin tone than me, knowing full well that it would be way to light for her, bought it - no idea why. I always struggle to find pale foundations, particularly those that have a more yellow tone to them, so, after noticing the rather huge flaw in her foundation selecting routine, she gave me this to try out. Now actually, the colour is a pretty good fit, but the foundation itself is just so watery that I struggle to get any kind of coverage at all without looking like I've dipped my face in cake batter. Another aspect that irks me, is the fact that it has no kind of pump or dispenser. You just pour it out of the bottle. It's so messy and you get way too much product - I found it to be quite a traumatic experience actually. Now, I know you can go out and buy pumps for your products, but why should I have to? Why doesn't someone have the sense to put one on it before they try and sell it? I mean, honestly! Also, it has SPF 18 in it. I mean, yay for SPF and everything, but 18? I thought they went up in multiples of 5? Don't confuse me so. I have heard good things about the powder in this range though, and as I know the colour is such a good match, and I sincerely doubt that I'm going to have the same consistency issue with it, I think I might give it a whirl. 
Rimmel Apocalips Lip Lacquers - £6.49
Next up is the Rimmel Apocalips Lip Lacquer. This is one that really irritates me, because I actually think the product is amazing, apart from one flaw which ruins the whole thing. The colours are super pigmented, as well as leaving a decent stain once the glossiness has faded, and they don't dry and leave your lips looking all cracked and flaky, like a lot of lip lacquers tend to. Sadly, the fact that it doesn't dry means that the instant a light breeze catches you unaware, you end up with your hair stuck all over your lips, and any attempt to rectify the situation, more often that not, results in some Joker-esque style of pout, where your hair has left stripes of highly pigmented product all over your face. Thank goodness it stains, eh? I also seem to get a lot on my teeth as the day goes on, and I'm struggling to think of a situation where I'd want to rock that look. So I'm confined to the house if I ever want to wear these. Such a shame!
Benefit Porefessional Primer - £24.50
Another product that I was expecting to love and was left really disappointed by is Benefit's Porefessional Pro Balm Primer. Now, I'll put my hands up and say that I could have probably avoided this one. I saw it at duty free, and when the woman on the Benefit counter saw me looking and asked if I wanted a sample, I panicked, refused and bought the full sized product. It seemed perfectly logical at the time. If only I could remember why. Now this primer is OK, but it isn't great, and the one thing it claims to do, it doesn't do very well at all. With this on, I don't think my pores look minimised in the slightest. It does make my skin feel smoother and silkier, creating a lasting base for my make up, but I don't think it stays put any longer than other primers I've used in the past. I think that if this product wasn't so hyped, I might have enjoyed it a bit more, but as I was expecting spectacular, and all I got was spectacularly average, unfortunately it's getting the boot.
Benefit They're Real! Mascara - £19.50
The last is probably the most controversial of my disappointments, and it's Benefit's They're Real! mascara. For something marketed as the fastest selling mascara in the UK, I was expecting amazing things from this product, but it's just all wrong for me! For starters, the shape of the mascara wand is sound in theory, but in practice, I just don't think it works. The weird mace looking bit at the tip would be perfect for coating the lashes vertically, and I thought it would be particularly good for bottom lashes and getting right into corners, but it just picks up wayyy too much product for it to be effective. I end up with clumps all over the place and a lot of wasted product. I also find that it's difficult to layer when wet, and absolutely impossible when dry, which is rather irritating. I can't be getting that false lash effect with only one coat, and let me tell you, the only thing 'unreal' about this stuff is the colossal amount of flaking and clumping when you attempt a second. It does lengthen my lashes, but no more so than other mascara's I've used, and it isn't particularly good at holding a curl either. So yeah, I just don't rate this mascara. At. All. I much prefer my trusty MaxFactor False Lash Effect mascara's, which I've been going back to for years now. 

So that is my list of products that, in my opinion, aren't worth the hype. Suffice it to say, Benefit took a fair bashing there. It's odd, because I love Benefit. Their eye shadows are amazing, and their blushes, to die for, but their two most hyped and loved products, I think are so underwhelming it's ridiculous. The Benefit products, and the rest, may very well suit you, and I am by no means trying to say that they are universally rubbish, they're just not for me. So if you love any of these products, and feel like they need a bit of defending, then by all means, leave a comment. I'd love to hear everyone's different opinions - it's so interesting to hear how different everybody is when it comes to cosmetics!

Do you agree with any of the products I've mentioned? Do you disagree? What are your disappointing products? Let me know!

S.

 photo homeeee_zps214aed0e.jpg

8 comments:

  1. I was so excited about Porefessional from a sample sized tube I had that I went and wasted all of my boots points on a full sized version! =( It really wasn't worth the hype, and although gave me a slightly more 'matte' effect and did cover my pores, I wouldn't call this a 'holy grail' item!!

    Saying that... I swear by the Biore strips!

    Nell @ & Nell Writes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww that's such a shame! At least you didn't spend actual money on them, I guess that's kind of a silver lining. I feel the same as you though, it does make me look less shiny, but it's nowhere near fantastic! xx

      Delete
  2. I don't like the Rimmel Apocalips either! But I love the Biore Pore Strips!

    Beth | LittleMissFashion x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're such a marmite product, those Biore strips! At least they're working for someone though - glad to hear that their hype isn't completely unwarranted! xx

      Delete
  3. I agree with you on the apocalips! I really like them but I would love if they would dry velvety and not glossy...

    Xo!
    L
    blogablebeauty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh I'm so glad you do, everyone else seems to love them! I'd just love for them to dry at all to be honest haha, fingers crossed that they might bring out a more velvety version in the future! xx

      Delete
  4. Ooh everyone seems to love the Benefit They're Real mascara. Maybe people just buy into the brand though rather than the product.

    IAmLinderella.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that might be it, because the brand is really good, I just think it's a bit of a dud product unfortunately! Have you tried it? What do you think? Xx

      Delete